Luke Chambers Ill Fated Captaincy

Maybe it’s a tad premature but I feel an early need to stress my opinion on Luke Chambers and his new role as captain.

To put it bluntly, Chambo is not the man to lead this club.

Don’t get me wrong, Chambers is one of my favourite players. He’s been a great servant to the club, has a great relationship with the fans and is one of the best CB’s in the league.

However, that mix doesn’t mean you’re going to be a good captain – David Johnson had a similar mix albeit him being a striker.

I’ll hold my hands up and admit I was one championing Chambers for the captaincy earlier on in the summer. Having Camp as captain just wasn’t ever right for me – although GK captain’s never really inspire me anyways.

I also felt everything was falling nicely into place for Chambers. With his previous captaincy experience at Northampton and his player of the year win; with McKenna departing it just seemed a natural move.

At this moment in time, I think we’ve made a bad choice.

The team has a significant lack of organisation about it under Chambers leadership. At first I thought it was linked to McClaren, however when analysing the games; Chambers stays tight lipped – almost Breckin like – ahead of a set piece. He’s more focused on himself than the rest of the team and worst still is he’s not even talking to defensive partner, Wes Morgan.

A lack of organisation is resulting in players going for the same ball and not picking up key men. I suppose it’s obvious why we’re struggling so badly with set pieces this season.

If Chambers does try to command the team, it’s almost as if none of the other players are interested in what he’s saying. I think Chambers getting the armband may have got certain individuals backs up, one being Lee Camp who looks disheartened these days. Camp always used to be leading and organising the backline. It’s almost as if now he’s taken a backseat. Why should he organise the defence when the skipper is a defender?

We all know the key to winning people back is to inspire them and sadly Chambers isn’t as his performances have been nothing short of poor up to now.

It’s bitterly disappointing as I thought he’d be a great leader but maybe the armband is proving to be a burden.

Maybe it’s a credit to Paul Mckenna in not realising what you have until it has gone – just like his legs had.

Fortunately for Luke, he has time on his side and the season is still early doors.

We’ll see how the coming weeks unfold.

Follow me on twitter @benando_torres

Comments