Forest Triumph Over Cardiff

Forest are jubilant today after a massive win against Cardiff sent them back into second place.

In a thrilling encounter at City Ground the Reds came out as 2-1 winners,with Forest goals by Wes Morgan and Robert Earnshaw. Peter Whittingham scored a goal back for Cardiff from the penalty spot in between.

Right from the outset this game had it all,both teams being dangerous on each attack. Early on Earnshaw had the ball in the goal, only for an offside flag to deny the Welshman a goal against his former club.

The best early chances both fell to Cardiff. Before this Bellamy had a pot shot saved by Camp. The best chance came to Bothroyd, who was set free, it looked offside from where A great chance for a recent England international, but missed.I was, but the flag stayed down, Bothroyd was one on one with Camp, and Camp saved. From the resulting corner Konchesky had to clear a Bellamy shot off the line. Not long later Parkin also found himself free, but his attempted lob was too high, he probably should have taken a more straight forward shot.

Not long later and Forest had the lead. A McGugan corner was sent over and Wes Morgan towered above all else to bullet header the ball back in and give Forest the lead. Not quite against a run of play, bit none the less, Forest had been Cardiff's equal, but had not had the clear cut chances the Bluebirds had.

Not long after Forest could have made it two, but the shot by McGugan came off the top of the bar to deny a good goal for the Reds which may have killed the match off

By and large that was it for the first half, save for a few half chances and cleared crosses. A cagey but entertaining first half, and Forest fans were elated, but many a worried conversation, we all knew we needed a second goal. One would never be enough in this game.

Early in the second half Parkin was replaced by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and his introduction changed everything.The more mobile pacey forward changed how Cardiff chased the game.However, Forest had another close effort with a McGugan free-kick going close to the top corner.

Cardiff's goal came from a highly debatable penalty. For one the linesman did not flag, another barely anyone appealed, fans or players. But the referee thought it was and blew the whistle,much to Forest fans and player consternation. Whittingham, a long term Forest target duly netted the penalty sending Camp the wrong way from the spot.

Cardiff were not level for long. Forest went back in front when Anderson managed to feed in Earnshaw. He netted from the edge of the 6 yard box, and the Forest fans went wild. Earnie, of course having close connections with Cardiff didn't celebrate his goal. It was a good assist by Anderson in a game in which previously I thought he had done little,this more than made amends.

Camp was called into duty twice more in the second half, saving a viciously swirling effort from Emmanualle-Thomas and a Olofinjana effort. Both saves illustrated his worth to Forest, and skills soon to be on display to Northern Ireland.

Forest should have finished the game off when Tyson broke away in a 4 on 2 attack. With the keeper to beat, but with 2 men spare in the middle free in McGugan and McGoldrick Tyson chose to shoot at the near post, when a cut back would no doubt have netted. A mistake which could have cost Forest, but the Reds held on to a majestic victory that see's them rise above Cardiff in the league